Match Report from: Coach Andrew Jancey

Annan’s U14s headed to Castle Douglas for their first outing of the new year with a full complement of 15 players. The dry day promised some running rugby between the 2 sides, and the players looked not to disappoint.

Some early runs from both sides showed promise but it was the home side that broke through for the opening try.

The home side continued there scoring form through the first 20 mins with Annan responding periodically with try’s from Rohan and Filipe. Annan showed good play throughout and may well have run in more points with the only issue being that the supporting play was a little slower than the home side. Perhaps a little rustiness from the festive season break.

However Annan where to shake some of that rust off in the final 20 mins as they won that period of play. The support and interlinking play was of the quality Annan had shown in previous fixtures. Centres Nate and Filipe both looked dangerous with ball in hand and in defence, marking some good tackles to hold the opposition at bay.

The new partnership of Mason Gibb and Aaron as 9 and 10 respectively was good and shows great promise from the future. Ben Richardson was (as always) impressive at full back making try saving tackles and clearing the lines on several occasions and looking to create space with ball in hand.

In the forward back rows Daniel and Ben Quinn looked good in support with both making good tackles and Daniel making several weaving runs in attack. The Front row where solid in the set piece and showed good work in support.

Mention also has to go to our two wingers Duncan (showing he can play anywhere as he was out of his usual position at scrum half) and Harry Begg, the latter of which was playing in is first rugby match and showed plenty of bravery and promise covering a tough and busy flank.

More to work on as the team look to bounce back next week but plenty of positives showing promise going further into 2022.

Final Score: Stewartry 37 – Annan 19

The U14 Squad


None at the moment


The match was not filmed