1ST MARCH 2020

Match Report from: Coach Calum Heughan

While storm Jorge was wreaking havoc all over the country the hardy lads of the u14 Tigers made the trip along the A75 to Bladnoch for their next match in 2020 against Newton Stewart.

Bathed in spring sunshine the Tigers won the toss and decided to play into the prevailing hurricane in the first half and took the game to their hosts from the off. Keeping the ball in hand the visitors powered up field and Deacon Henderson was to score nicely from short range. Quickly followed by Oban Nicholson who also took advantage of soft tackling to cross the whitewash.

Annan were to control the ball throughout the half with Henderson scoring again followed by a brace from both Ruaridh Bell and Fraser Court with Wallace Alexander touching down last in this period. Super Boot Aaron Kirkup was on target with 7 from 8 conversions in the first half to cement his place as the best goalkicker in the club  ( sorry Sean Haren).

The second half was to begin in the same way as the first Henderson scoring again followed by Remo Armstrongs first of the day. Annan took the opportunity to move some players around position wise to develop their skills and this was to disrupt the team somewhat and this led to a couple of tries for the hosts before the Black and Yellows took control of the game again.

Ruaridh Bell was to score his hat trick try before Henderson bagged his forth on the day. Remo Armstrong touched down for his second of the day duly converted by Kirkup who slotted 12 from 13 despite Jorges best efforts. With the Tigers missing some key players the emphasis was put on the players stand up and be counted and stand up they did. Great running from all on the day was a joy to see and this was to overwhelm the Reds on a perfect surface for open rugby. Solid tackling and rucking was to give plenty quick ball and to attack with.

In very difficult conditions the back 3 were to get their skates on with potent running throughout from Harry Nordon, James Glendinning, Aaron Kirkup, Jake Nordon and Nairn McCourt. Big hit specialists Fraser Court and Zak Stevenson were on target to disrupt the opposition ball and Armstrong and Watret pounced on any ball in the ruck. Making a barnstorming debut for the club was Tyler Graham who took his chance to show what he is about by running hard in heavy traffic and breaking the gain line on every carry to the delight of the coaches.

A final score of 51 – 12 was a nice return on the day considering the game looked like it might be lost to the weather.

A very good day at a  windy office for the Tigers today with all players getting plenty of ball in hand. Pod play and running lines are improving week on week and player confidence is high. More of the same will see the Annan lads through to the end of the season with a nice record to the satisfaction of all involved with the club.

Team: R Heughan ( capt ) E Bell, M Watret, K Smith, Z Stevenson, R Armstrong ( 2 tries ), F Court ( 2 tries ), T Graham, R Bell ( 3 tries ), O Nicholson ( 1try ), D Henderson ( 4 tries ), A Kirkup ( 12cons ), W Alexander ( 1try ), H Nordon, J Farral, J Glendinning, J Nordon, N McCourt.

On the attack

On the attack