Match Report from: Alastair “Babe” Graham

Annan 2nds arrived at Alexander Hamilton Memorial Park, Stonehouse with a full squad of 15 players and 3 subs, buoyant and up for their first away game of the 2019/2020 season.

Due to a mix up with allocating a referee our very own Gordon Carmichael took up the mantle and controlled a fare and open flowing game. Annan started strong and the first of Annan’s 8 first half tries was scored by one of the Young Guns on show for the first time for senior side, Ewan Campbell 5 minutes into the game.

All the Annan youngsters played well on their first appearances, Aaron Carmichael, Ross Barlow, Ryan Armstrong and Ewan. 2 minutes after Annan’s first score Ryan Armstrong, after good team continuity, ran in his first try for an Annan senior team.

Not to out done Ewan scored his second 3 minutes later after another strong run, avoiding the Clydesdale defence and scoring under the sticks.

Back to Ryan’s turn 5 minutes later, before young Aaron Carmichael got in on the act with his elusive running and jinking around the defence, again scoring under the posts. Clydesdale had no answer for the hard running Annan forwards and backs but after a breakdown in play and a concerted effort from Clydesdales stalwarts, their hard tackling, hard running number 11 eluded the Annan defence and scored on the left flank.

Initially Referee Carmichael disallowed the conversion but later reversed the decision after consulting the Annan touch judge. This brief interruption in the flow of Annan’s play was quickly redressed when after a short spell off the pitch for Tam Thorburn (Blood bin), Scott Muir came on a promptly scored with virtually his first touch of the ball. On the stroke of half time Danny Lockerbie, with his illusive footwork and speed, outpaced the Clydesdale defence and scored the first of his 4 tries.

Annan playing into the wind in the first half were relishing having the stiff breeze behind them but it took them a wee while to adjust but Danny resumed his quick jinking fast running and scored his second.

Callum Taylor came off with knee injury at the time of Danny’s try and after playing a good first half at No 8, on came Chris Henderson who slotted into centre with James Park going to Wing Forward and a reshuffle of the back row. Danny spurned a chance to get his hat trick but he did promise his coach 4!!!

Danny scored his hat trick with 20 minutes to go, followed by Scott’s 2nd after substituting for Callum earlier in the half. True to his work Danny grab his 4th with 10 mins to go after wrong footing the defence and racing in under the posts from halfway. Aaron grabbed his second try with 5 minutes left to play.

Declan Ferguson, our hard hitting centre promised his team mates a try and 2 minutes before the end of the game he burst through the middle from Annan’s 10 metre line and out striped the Clydesdale defence and managed to squeeze between the sticks for his score.

All 13 tries were converted by Annan’s No 9, Ross Brown who directed the interaction between the forwards and the backs admirably. A huge credit must go out to Clydesdale as they stuck to their task with spirit and determination but it was the Annan boys who can walk away with chests puffed at a good performance and with most players able to commit themselves to training at least on one session per week, this all bodes well for the season. 



None at the moment


None at the moment

Annan Rugby Club Badge