Match Report from: Gordon “Gogs” Carmichael

Annan Seconds travelled up to Cumnock for a West Reserve League division 3 game for their third game away in a row.

With a very young and inexperienced side travelling with the average around 23 (apart from Tam Thorburn) they came up against a much bigger and more experienced Cumnock side.

Annan started the better and scored the first try through some good footwork by winger Danny Lockerby which was converted by Aaron Carmichael. Cumnock soon replied and scored an unconverted try to take the score to 7-5 to Annan.

With the game ebbing and flowing, Annan regained the lead through another try by winger Danny Lockerby. This time he outpaced the cover defence to score in the corner. The conversation was missed.

The large home forwards were now starting to use their weight advantage and soon scored to bring the score to 12-10 to Annan. With half time looming a stray kick out of defence by the home team was picked up by centre Aaron Carmichael who beat some poor defence to score in the corner which he duly converted from the touch line to finish the half Annan 19 Cumnock 10.

The second half started with home side starting to keep the ball tight with their big forwards making good ground with their pick and goes. Annan defended well but tended to tackle the ball carrier too high (which needs to be worked on) which resulted in them scoring 3 further tries with none being converted to bring the score to 25-19 to the home side .

With the game evenly balanced Annan, in their wanting to get back into the game, gave an interception pass on half way which the Cumnock winger caught and raced for the line. He was reeled in by the pace of Aaron Carmichael and caught on the try line. With Captain Ben Conroy back helping, he’s deemed by the ref to have come in from an offside position and was penalised. The ref then subsequently gave a penalty try and gave the full back a yellow card. This turned out to be the last score of the game.

Final Score: Cumnock 32 v Annan 19

Overall it was another learning curve for the young Annan side who never gave up Well done to Fraser Hope on his first game for the club and to man of the match Nick Graham who was the pick of the forwards with his hard running and first game as hooker.

With a home game scheduled for next week let’s keep the attendances good for training this week.




Alas no match photos


None at the moment

Annan Rugby Club Badge